We all know kids mean no harm however, when it comes to unknown dogs petting them can be a potential hazard. The following tips are for parents to teach their children what TO DO and what NOT TO DO when encountering a dog for the first time.
- They must always get verbal consent from you and the dog's owner to pet their dog.
- They should always allow the dog to sniff them first before petting the dog.
- They should never interrupt a dog's sleep, meal time, or while the dog is caring for their puppies.
- If a dog's owner cannot control the dog, it's probably not a good idea to let your child pet that dog.
- They should stay clear from dogs who are behind a fence, inside a car, or without their owner; let alone tease them while the dog is in any of these situations.