Fireworks Pet Safety Tips

BBQs, pools, water activities, and fireworks... that's right, it's the 4th of July!  Now, we're all about the fun but we're about being safe too.  So please take the following tips into consideration this holiday weekend for the safety of you and your furry friend:

  • Not exclusive to this weekend, of course, but never leave your alcoholic drinks unattended where your pets can reach them.  Alcoholic beverages have the potential to poison pets and in severe cases could lead to death from respiratory failure.
  • Keep them on their same diet.  We know you want to share your delicious ribs with your puppy, but any sudden change to your pet's diet can cause an upset stomach.  In addition, certain foods like chocolate, salt, yeast dough, onions, avocado, grapes and raisins can be toxic.
  • If using sunscreen or insect repellent, ensure it's pet friendly.  Misusing insect repellent containing DEET (diethyltoluamide) can lead to neurological problems, and if ingested can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, excessive thirst and lethargy.
  • Don't use fireworks around your dog.  Fireworks can pose a danger to curious pets and potentially result in severe burns and/or trauma to the face and paws.  But check this out... even unused fireworks can be hazardous.  Some fireworks contain potentially toxic substances such as arsenic, potassium nitrate, and other heavy metals.  No good for our loyal companions!
  • Keep your dog as comfortable as possible during the fireworks.  Some dogs can become anxious or disoriented by loud noises.  You know your dog better than anybody, so if this sounds like your dog, keep them safe from the noise in a quiet, sheltered and escape-proof area at home during the fireworks.
  • It is recommended to have your pup microchipped in the event they decide to mimic Houdini.  If your dog is not micro-chipped ensure you keep them on a leash or inside the crate.

From the Unity K9 Family, we hope you all have a safe and Happy Fourth of July!